Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_10_] Carl Ijames[_10_] is offline

Default Torches can flame without propane tank connected!

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
. 4.170...

Bill fired this volley in
:

but there would need to have a check valve that would prevent gas
venting out the "bottom" of the torch, forcing gas to exit thru the

tiny
gas orifice in the nozzle to sustain the burn time.

There is. There's a tiny ball-check at the tip of the canister needle.

Without that, there wouldn't be _any_ "burp" after the torch was
unscrewed from the gas bottle.

That still won't account for an amount of gas in the short riser tube
necessary to make it burn that long -- even if it were all liquid.

Lloyd

I didn't know for sure that there was a check valve, but I thought there was
a good chance there was one. Lloyd, you posted that you tried this, and you
probably did what I'm about to suggest :-). If liquid is the key the best
way I can think to do it would be to light the torch and hold the tank with
the valve straight down to maximize the flow of liquid, then let the torch
burn for a few minutes to make sure the torch tubing is flooded with liquid.
Keep the tank upside down, turn off the torch, and unscrew the torch from
the tank as quickly as you can to minimize venting as the check ball seats,
then point the torch up to minimize the flow of liquid into the flame, and
pull the trigger. Also, all tanks should give the same results, but maybe
the differences were in how he had the tank oriented, how long he kept the
torch lit, and how fast the he unscrewed the torch? If that doesn't work,
then I can't see how he did it without cheating.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames