Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On 10/23/2015 9:38 AM, wrote:

Can't remember the last time I've had to change a tire on the road -I
think it was on my 1963 Valiant back in about 1971 - with a bumper
jack and no bumper - - - -

Mine was several weeks ago. I had a tire with a
sidewall bulge. Thought it might be good for a
while longer, but was mistaken. Screw jack, and
a space saver spare. But, it did get me to the
tire place the next day.

The 25 inch breaker bar helped remove the lugnuts.

Anytime I get my car back from the shop, I loosen the

lug nuts and retighten them to the coorect torque with a
torque wrench.

The garage will always make them too tight [I just got

a replacement vehicle. Tempted to do that. But,I carry a
breaker bar and torque wrench, so it's not as much an
issue. besides, with aluminum wheels I'd have to recheck
torque at 25 and at 50 miles after I did the recheck. I
learned the hard way, about rechecking. With aluminum
wheels, the lugs tend to not seat correctly. It's necessary
to retorque once or twice after the install.] which makes
it difficult to remove them on the road for a flat and also
warps the rotors.

Mark

--
.