Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Norman Wells[_5_] Norman Wells[_5_] is offline

Default Lidl parking

"Harold Davis" wrote in message
Fredxxx wrote in :

I think Norman must own a few car parks.

The last sign I saw said in large print "Conditions of parking". I
didn't read the rest as they were up high and I literally couldn't
read it. I was quickly scanning the notice for a duration and charge
and couldn't see any hint of either. I suspect Norm would still say I
agreed to the unreadable contract.

FWIW, the signs in the carpark outside a branch of Staples I recently
visited describe what is obviously a penalty charge. They say something
along the lines of "you agree that if you breach any of these rules you
will pay us £100". That is a penalty. There are no two ways about it.

So what? Penalty clauses in contracts are perfectly legal, and enforceable.

And in a carpark outside a nearby hotel, the title of the text on the signs
is "WARNING". It seems reasonable for drivers to assume that the document
is not a contract, but - well, a warning, perhaps to do with thieves or
something. A contract isn't a warning. A contract is an agreement between
two parties.

Breach of the parking conditions is breach of the contract you have agreed to enter
into by parking there. It's a warning not to break the rules, otherwise there will
be a legally enforceable extra charge. And it draws attention to that in a massive
way - something that others here wrongly claim is always hidden away in the small
print.

When something says WARNING in big letters that you obviously notice, it's as well
to check what it's a warning about, not just ignore it, isn't it?

Good luck to you, Mr Beavis!

He's lost unanimously at every step of the way so far. He has no hope of succeeding
with any further futile attempts.