Posted to alt.home.repair
westom westom is offline
Senior Member

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 11:45:16 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
"To protect TV2, a second multiport protector located at TV2 is required."

So how many $thousands will you spend? TV2 needs one. Every radio needs one. How do you install one on each GFCI? Dishwasher needs one. Stove needs one. Every recharging appliance needs one. Each dimmer switch needs one.. How do you put one on every smoke detector? Every kid must be carefully trained on how to connect his Xbox to the TV. Otherwise Xbox can be damaged.. Every LED bulb needs one. Are you really that dense?

One earths a 'whole house' protector for about $1 per protected appliance. Then has properly sized protectors that do not fail - or cause fires.

So you finally decided to admit to ignorance - did not know about protector fire and that recent recall of so many APC protectors:
"Recall of 15 million surge protectors due to fire hazard"
https://forums.thefirepanel.com/view...hp?f=26&t=6334
The firm has received 700 reports of the surge protectors
overheating and melting and 55 claims of property damage
from smoke and fire,

"House fire caused by faulty surge protector not on recall list, Kingwood chief says" :
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d..._by_fault.html
A pre-dawn fire at a home here yesterday was caused by a
surge protector/power strip that overheated and caught
fire, the township fire company chief reported today.

picarho in "semi-disaster. Ever happened to you??" in reefcentral.com:
So while I was at work my house went up into smoke...
no fire thank Jesus! My surge protector had 6 things
plugged into it... Return pump, T5's, PowerHead, Heater,
Skimmer and a cheap "reptile" light I use to see my
sump when im topping off/cleaning. something happened
(not sure what) but 5 of the 6 were melted into the

? surge protector. they wont even come out of it they
are melted in so bad.... None of my breakers in the
house tripped nor did the surge turn off....

Norma in 2008 in alt.fiftyplus entitled "The Power Outage":
Today, the cable company came to replace a wire. Well
the cable man pulled a wire and somehow yanked loose
their "ground" wire. The granddaughter on the computer
yelled and ran because sparks and smoke were coming
from the power surge strip.

From the Gaston County Fire Marshal:
Recent fires involving multiple outlet devices toted as
surge suppressors raised attention at the Gaston County
Fire Marshal's office primarily when one such fire
occurred in a fire station. Investigation of a fire
that started behind a desk in an office revealed the
ignition source was a surge suppressor.
Within that firehouse, three separate surge suppressors
were recovered and examined. Each had failed, the one
caught on fire, another suppressor ceased working,
while the third continued working but later was found
to have failed internally. These findings, coupled
with suspicion of suppressor involvement in other fires,
prompted in-depth examination of possible reasons.
When fire investigators examine fire scenes where surge
suppressors are involved in the ignition few know what
patterns indicate failed MOV's. If not properly
collected, suppressor parts cannot be carefully examined
to determine involvement, thus fire cause is improperly
categorized in reporting systems.

trader_4's in depth knowledge and experience did not understand what sometimes happens when a hundreds or thousand joule protector futilely tries to block or absorb a surge that is tens or hundreds of thousands of joules. Just another reason why informed consumers earth a 'whole house' protector.