Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:58:59 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Get on down to HF as they have a set on sell for 4.99. 3/8 inch ratchet
and
sockets. About the price of one good socket.

I've got a few cheap socket sets floating around - or remnants of
them. The sockets were crappy, and the ratchets were "knuckle busters"
and I even twisted off a few extensions. Some were from India, some
from China - and none cost over $15 new in a tin box.

I agree the quality is not there. They are good for people that seldom use
tools, such as to put together some home items . Good to carry a set in
the car just incase you need to do a simple repair.

Run across a hard to turn nut and some part of the set may give.

I just bought a HF chain saw sharpner for $ 30, a one similar to it sells at
Northern Tool for aound $ 100 more. I may sharpen a chain twice a year and
the sharpener works fine for that. If I was doing several a week, then
probably beter to get the NT one.
..
Got the multimeter free with it. Checked it with my Fluke meter and it is
with in tollorance. Good enough for the home owner and someone that may do
some trouble shooting on equipment.
Just don't think I would want to put it across some of the equipment where I
worked that had 480 volt 3 phase and fused at 500 amps.