Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Why does my car ac system keep blowing up?

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:16:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 2:59:23 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 06:45:28 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 9:10:17 AM UTC-4, Colonel Edmund Burke wrote:
On 10/15/2015 5:55 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
Twice now my 92 Explorer has "blown" the compressor.

I think you gots gremlins in there.

Is it possible the compressor drew liquid refrigerant into the suction side?

I think the reffigerent is supposed to be only vapor by the time it goes around and come back to the input? Is that what the accumulator is for, to prevent liquid from entering the compressor?

Mark

That is what seems most likely to me but it also seems to me that the
least likely time for there to be liquid is on a "cold start" when
it's idling. Isn't the liquid more likely to have condensed out after
it's been running for a while at higher speeds?

It's the same as when the refrigerant is in the can when you buy it, it is a combination of liquid and vapor. Also propnae containers are the same.

When the system has been idle, the liquid will collect in the coldest part.
If it is all at the same _exact_ temperature, I'm not sure what determines where the liquid collects.

Mark

It's not clear to me that there is any liquid when the system isn't
running. I know there is in the can but once it's in the car isn't
the volume of the system so large that it's all vapor until you start
the compressor? I'm asking, I don't know. Are you sure there is
liquid in the system when it's off? If so, that might be what's going
on, it's somehow sucking liquid in before it gets spread all over the
system.