Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Lidl parking

In article ,
Harold Davis wrote:
FWIW, the signs in the carpark outside a branch of Staples I recently
visited describe what is obviously a penalty charge. They say something
along the lines of "you agree that if you breach any of these rules you
will pay us £100". That is a penalty. There are no two ways about it.

And in a carpark outside a nearby hotel, the title of the text on the
signs is "WARNING". It seems reasonable for drivers to assume that the
document is not a contract, but - well, a warning, perhaps to do with
thieves or something. A contract isn't a warning. A contract is an
agreement between two parties.

Good luck to you, Mr Beavis!

It's also pretty common for the 'Free Parking for 2 hours' bit to be in a
much larger font than the 'what happens if you overstay' or whatever.

If the large print said '75 quid fine if you don't observe our conditions'
they might have more chance of saying it is some form of contract. But of
course if most saw that, they'd move on to another store.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.