Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:56:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/22/2015 4:32 PM, wrote:
Most current "american" cars are fully metric, but they use the
oddball 13mm and 11mm etc that are almost identical to SAE sises (1/2
and 11/16) as well as the unique metrics like 10 and 12

I see 10 MM every which where, and it doesn't
work with any of the SAE sizes. Is there a list
on the web, which sizes convert?

13 MM is slightly larger than 1/2 inch, but some
looser sockets will work.

10 MM, doesn't work with anything out of my SAE box.

Yup I have a 10mm in my SAE set, because of that.
You see metric stuff pop up in the strangest places. The other strange
one is 7mm
I have a slip handle nut driver that came with 1/4" and 5/16 " and
used to open just about anything with hex sheet metal screws.

I ended up getting another one, cutting off the 1/4" and adding a 7mm.
5/16 and 8mm are functionally the same.
If you have that and a 10mm socket, you can do just about anything you
are going to do with a Yamaha mid range outboard on the water.