Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Harold Davis Harold Davis is offline

Default Lidl parking

Fredxxx wrote in :

I think Norman must own a few car parks.

The last sign I saw said in large print "Conditions of parking". I
didn't read the rest as they were up high and I literally couldn't
read it. I was quickly scanning the notice for a duration and charge
and couldn't see any hint of either. I suspect Norm would still say I
agreed to the unreadable contract.

FWIW, the signs in the carpark outside a branch of Staples I recently
visited describe what is obviously a penalty charge. They say something
along the lines of "you agree that if you breach any of these rules you
will pay us £100". That is a penalty. There are no two ways about it.

And in a carpark outside a nearby hotel, the title of the text on the signs
is "WARNING". It seems reasonable for drivers to assume that the document
is not a contract, but - well, a warning, perhaps to do with thieves or
something. A contract isn't a warning. A contract is an agreement between
two parties.

Good luck to you, Mr Beavis!

Harry