Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:43:34 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/22/2015 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm actually surprised that *you* are this late to the game.

In any case, get 6 points, not 12. They grip so much better...much less
chance (none?) of rounding off the head of the bolt. They do lack a bit in
"convenience" when positioning over the bolt head, but they feel (and act)
so much more secure.

1/2" drive for brakes and suspension, 3/8" drive for just about everything
else.

It's obvious that I'm failing in the nerd department.
I should know this kind of thing. Well, so, does my
Harbor Freight metric set do the SAE sizes also?

Nope. You need either a "combination" set or 2 separate sets. A
"combination" set is 2 sets in one box. Up here in Canada that is the
most cpommon socket set you can buy.