Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On 10/22/2015 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
In any case, get 6 points, not 12. They grip so much better...much less
chance (none?) of rounding off the head of the bolt. They do lack a bit in
"convenience" when positioning over the bolt head, but they feel (and act)
so much more secure.

1/2" drive for brakes and suspension, 3/8" drive for just about everything
else.

The only time I've totally needed 12 point, is
distributor wrench. I do agree about the six
points. When I did heating, my trainer had a
1/4 drive SAE ratchet set. I was amazed how
much he could do with that. Now days, I find
a 1/4 drive set can do a lot.

Yesterday a friend and I changed a windshield
wiper motor (10 MM) and a wiper transmission
(also needs 10 MM wrench). Both with quarter
inch drive set. Nut to remover wiper blade is
13 MM wrench. All done with quarter inch
drive wrenches.

Replacing leaf springs, half drive and power
tools are preferred.

--
..
Christopher A. Young