Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What's different between Dimmable and non-dimmable LED bulbs

On 2015-10-22 3:34 PM, wrote:
I've noticed that the stores sell both regular (non-dimmable) and
Dimmable LED bulbs. The dimmable ones are more expensive. What is
different inside of them?

I dont use dimmers, or I'd try this.

What happens if a regular bulb is connected to a dimmer?

I'd assume a dimmable bulb will work fine on a circuit without a dimmer,
or is there a reason to NOT use them if no dimmer exists? (other than
the extra cost).

My wife hates the CFL bulbs, they give her headaches so while they were still
available we got two cases of 24 60W incandescent, rated for 130V, not one has
failed and it has been over a year. Sure they are a bit less bright than a
regular 60W/120V bulb, but it keeps her happy, haven't tried the LED ones yet,
they still seem rather expensive last I looked.

[I suspect the post was refering to "a regular *LED* bulb" in a dimmer
circuit]

We use "commercial grade (130V) incandescent floods/spots in most of
our area lighting, here. Dimmable CFL's and even dimmable LED's just
don't have the same dynamic range nor the nice warm color that a
glowing piece of wire has!

They tend to have a thicker filament and, because they are running a bit
cooler than their ratings (e.g., at 130V, power is 130*130/K whereas
it's roughly 120*120/K when operated at actual line voltage; about 15%
less)

With very little street lighting and other external light sources,
many nights are delightfully dark, here. So, even with the curtains
OPEN, the house is pitch black at night -- or some portion of each
night.

If we turn the overhead floods on at the lowest dimmer setting,
the rooms, floors and furnishings are all pleasantly visible
to "recently opened" eyes (that are not keen on the harsh bright
lights that you'd normally encounter -- even from a dimmable!).

So, when guests visit, we leave most of the house illuminated in this
manner overnight. Easier than risking a visitor unfamiliar with the
house "falling" into the sunken living room, etc. And, much less
"tacky" than having a boatload of "nightlights" cluttering up the
space!

The "adjustable color" LEDs would be an interesting choice -- but
for their cost and the technology they embody.