Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:59:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Doing some vehicle work yesterday. SAE socket set
won't work, becuae 10 MM is between 3/8 and 7/16.
And 13 MM is between 1/2 and 9/16.

Suppose I buy metric socket set. Will I have the
same problem workign on English size fasteners?

Do I need to wrench sets in each vehicle?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

You need 2 sets, and for the metric set it depends what vehicle you
are working on and where the set originates. Some vehicles only use
8,10,12,15,17,19,21 and 24
Others use 8,11,13,16,18, and 22
Others use other combinations.
A "full" metric set includes everyrhing from 8mm to 28mm.

Then there are the oddball aplications (have not run across them in
automotive) that use decimal sized metrics - like 5.5

You don't need 2 of each ratchet or extension as all metric sockes (at
least in the north american market) use 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch drives
for light to medium duty use, and 3/4 or 1 inch for HD use