Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 1:59:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Doing some vehicle work yesterday. SAE socket set
won't work, becuae 10 MM is between 3/8 and 7/16.
And 13 MM is between 1/2 and 9/16.

Suppose I buy metric socket set. Will I have the
same problem workign on English size fasteners?

Do I need to wrench sets in each vehicle?

I'm actually surprised that *you* are this late to the game.

In any case, get 6 points, not 12. They grip so much better...much less
chance (none?) of rounding off the head of the bolt. They do lack a bit in
"convenience" when positioning over the bolt head, but they feel (and act)
so much more secure.

1/2" drive for brakes and suspension, 3/8" drive for just about everything
else.