Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default A bit OT, A rant about tool web sites

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 3:43:05 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Well I have decided to order a new speed controller for my Triton
router.

What model and part number?

Unfortunately doing so is done through a web site that offers no means
of communications other than e-mail.

Email is better than telephone for serious communication.

The problem with email communication is that it's often hard to put all of
the required info in an email and make it perfectly clear. If you include
too much information, you can often tell by the response that they either
didn't read it in it's entirety or they didn't understand it. That's when
you get into a back and forth email exchange that tends to take a long time.

With a phone call, you can get down into the details, voice to voice, until
you can be relatively sure that both parties understand the details.

Just imagine how much shorter some of the threads in this ng would be if we
could call each other and say. "That's not what I meant. Let me explain
this way..."

I realize that email provides a paper trail, while voice communication
often does not, but conversations can often be followed by an email that
starts with...

"Per our phone conversation of mm/dd/yyyy..."