Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ggherold@gmail.com is offline

Default OT what is it?

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 10:01:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 11:56:17 AM UTC-4, Tom Miller wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 10:41:16 AM UTC-4, Tom Miller wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 10:04:36 PM UTC-4, Tom Miller wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 2:45:30 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:53:45 PM UTC-4, Tom Miller wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 9:52:07 AM UTC-4,

wrote:
Hi all, I found this thing.. see pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxd1cq8qb...LzNAK-Vaa?dl=0
In the back of a drawer at my house. The previous owner was a
pack
rat,
who also worked for the phone company.
It looks like some high voltage flashlight.
What sort of voltage do I apply to the leads?

Thanks,
George H.

As per Boris - yes, it could be a timing light - but definitely a
stop-action device of some sort. I expect that there were other
parts
associated with it - strobe-type timing lights have an induction
trigger
device, usually, as one example. + & -attached to the battery,
and
the
inductor clamped to #1 cylinder spark-plug wire.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But there is no trigger electrode. It might be Neon. Can you hit
it
with
some high voltage, maybe from a lawn mower spark plug? See what
the
discharge spectrum looks like.

Hmm OK, I could try that.

I'm a little leery of mixing electronics with my lawn mower.
Way back when, a motor wouldn't start, and I convinced myself
it was a spark problem. I couldn't see a spark
after all. I wanted to see how much voltage I was getting so
I hooked up my DMM (though a series resistor), Pulled the
cord to turn over the engine, and promptly blew up my DMM. :^(

George H.

Tom, Sorry I chickened out and didn't put it across any
of my working motors. (The last thing I want is to
blow out the spark drive... I'm not really sure, what I'm saying.
Is it ok to put a dead short across my briggs and stratton?

George H.

Doesn't the spark plug do just that when it fires?
Yeah, I didn't say my fear was rational.
I had a bunch of old engines, I think most were "re-cycled" this
past summer.
Hmm, OK I'll hook it up to my old tractor.
(Ferguson to-20) If I blow out the coil it's easy to
put in a new one.

What damages magneto ignition systems is open circuit, wire off plug
events.
Then the coil arcs internally.

Don't you have any kind of transformer that could make a HV spark with
say a
9 volt battery? A filament transformer maybe?

9V battery and transformer? (how does that work?)

I've got a 120-24 (6A) tranny, how much voltage would you guess I'll
need?
I could run that backwards from a Variac.

George H.

Just take clip leads to the highest voltage winding (primary?) to the
tube.
Then use the battery to "flash" the lowest voltage winding. Think about
how
the points work in an ignition circuit.

No, do not use a variac.

All you want is to get a discharge through the tube and see what color is
produced. Red says it might be Neon, blueish white may be Xenon, other
will
be who knows.

Thanks Tom, I got nothing with my big transformer.
(I don't have enough current to get any significant voltage across the low
voltage windings. It could also be that the tube is dead.
I'll try with my tractor at home tonight.

George H.

Just be careful. Getting hit with the HV can really hurt.

I didn't have time to play with it this evening.
(my night to take my daughter to dance,
and raining when I got home.
Tomorrow, as long as the sun doesn't set too soon. :^)

HV, not to worry, I've been bitten several times,
and have a healthy respect.

George H.

OK I hooked this up to the spark of my tractor last night.
The nice cherry glow of Neon was visible.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, comments and links.

So here's a question, My daughter likes the elements,
we have a small collection. Adding Neon would be nice,
but we'd have to make a little circuit to power the tube.

1.) How much voltage do I need to start it? (10kV?)
2.) could I run it CW or would a pulsed thing be better/ easier.
3.) How to make the HV? My first thought was a cockroft-walton chain.
Could I choose the caps and frequency such as to have a crude current control.

(I like the Cockroft chain because it's not all that hard to understand.)

Any thoughts?

George H.