Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flashlight problem

On 21 Oct 2015 18:04:58 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:44:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 10/21/2015 10:30 AM, KenK wrote:
I have a No-name 17-LED three D-Cell flashlight and only 7 of the
LEDs are lit, and another one goes on and off. I tried new batteries
but no change.

I assume the flashlight is kaput. Anything I may be overlooking I
could try before I replace it? Screw-in parts like front end are
tight.

Are you sure there aren't two "settings" available:
- 7 LED
- 17 LED

Is there a pattern to the LED's that are failing to illuminate?
I.e., left side, right side, outer ring, inner core, etc.

Is the LED assembly accessible (to inspect)? Or, is it a sealed
assembly (discard when broken)?

Ensure the "Screw-in parts like front end are tight." are not
cross-threaded?

Don't appear to be as best I can tell.

Cross-threaded ends would not make some LEDs work and others not. The
LEDs in a 17 LED array At least in most "cheap" arrays) are wired in a
series-parallel matrix, and if one fails open, all in the series
section shared by that LED will fail. If one LED fails shorted, the
other LEDS in that series string will light brighter - and will
eventially fail from overcurrent.

I have had really bad luck with some Chinese LED lamps failing both
ways.