John Rumm

Default How much light for a garage?

N. Thornton wrote:

I'd make it one 5' fluorescent light plus a white ceiling to soften
the light. More enthusiastic folk might run to 2 strips, but 3.... no,
just plain unpleasant.

In my workshop (approx single garage sort of size) I went for 4 x 5' 58W
single tubes - one on each end wall, two equally spaced in the middle.
With the ceiling and walls painted off-white I find these give a nice
even light for working in.

It's not just the level of light that counts - but also having it
arriving from several directions so that you are not always working in
your shadow.

(when I installed the lights I put them on a double switch so that I
could switch two pairs of two independently - I have so far never found
the desire to only use one set on its own when working in there -
although being able to switch only half on is OK when you are just
popping out to get a tool or something).

--
Cheers,

John.