Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default A bit OT, A rant about tool web sites

woodchucker wrote in
:

On 10/21/2015 1:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:02:12 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Don't trust Consumer Reports. About 30 years back I got what
according to them was the most reliable car on the market. Went
through three engines in 30,000 miles, none covered under warranty.

Y'know how investment firms always say "past performance is
no gaurantee of future results"? That's how you should read
Consumer Reports. Their reliability grade is based on the
reliability of prior years (they go back 3, I think). You
have no gaurantee the car maker will be as good this year as
they were before.

I read the Consumer Reports section on reliability. If a given model
has been reliable, then the current year IDENTICAL model should be
also - never buy the first year or two of a new version. Example
2015 Ford F-150 is a new version. Wouldn't consider it. Toyota
Highlander has a godd to very good reliability record going back 12
years. A 3 year old Highlander is nore reliable than a new Dodge
SUV.

So typical of our American ****boxes. Detroit doesn't know how to
make a good car. We are getting beat out by the Japanese, German's
and the Korean's, at making cars.

That's going overboard. Ford, at least, makes excellent
vehicles (altho, like ADS, I wouldn't buy the first year
production of anything). Mitsubishi makes a fair bit of
crap. VW cheats. You can find good and bad anywhere.

John