Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default A bit OT, A rant about tool web sites

On 10/21/2015 1:34 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:02:12 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:39:01 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Well I have decided to order a new speed controller for my Triton
router. Unfortunately doing so is done through a web site that offers
no means of communications other than e-mail. The web site has locked
me out using my user name and trying to re register indicates that my
user name is already in use. Applying to reset the password results in
no response via e-mail.

Haven't gotten money from my credit union in a while. Tried the
online access today and they don't know me. Do have the statements
they send out and there's still $$ in the account. I'll call them
tomorrow and play menu bingo to get info on car loan rates and get the
online access restored. My wife's car is 20 years old and we're
looking to replace it. Did several hours of paper research (Consumer
Reports) plus some online research (specs and prices). Found a half
dozen used vehicles that meet our criteria.

Don't trust Consumer Reports. About 30 years back I got what according
to them was the most reliable car on the market. Went through three
engines in 30,000 miles, none covered under warranty.

I read the Consumer Reports section on reliability. If a given model
has been reliable, then the current year IDENTICAL model should be
also - never buy the first year or two of a new version. Example 2015
Ford F-150 is a new version. Wouldn't consider it. Toyota Highlander
has a godd to very good reliability record going back 12 years. A 3
year old Highlander is nore reliable than a new Dodge SUV.

So typical of our American ****boxes. Detroit doesn't know how to make
a good car. We are getting beat out by the Japanese, German's and the
Korean's, at making cars.

I had a bunch of friends that were engineers there. They have their
heads up their asses when it comes to foreign cars.

Also have a problem with the company that installed our HVAC. We
prepaid for seasonal checkups and can't reach them by phoine. The
business number goes to a residence number that's "temporarily out of
service". The 'contact' form on their web page got no response, so
we're using ancient technology to contact them - paper mail. Used
anywho.com to do a reverse lookup on the phone number and got a name
and address.

Which might be meaningless. I frequently get calls at work from a
collection agency that thinks that it's calling somebody's house.

I'm smary enough to do verification. The names match the business
owners.

--
Jeff