Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Just ordered a bike engine

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:01:48 -0700
wrote:

These engine kits are offered from many sellers and the quality seems
to be all over the place. So I don't know what is gonna show up on my
doorstep. I will for sure be making custom mounts because ALL the
mounting options I have seen for these engines have been far from
ideal. I also don't like the gas tanks, mainly because they look like
a gas tank. I have seen several bike conversions that look great.
These were all based on Beach Cruiser type bicycles. However, I am
going to be hanging this engine on my eighteen speed road bike and the
gas tank would just look plain wrong, to me at least. I have already
designed and drawn a new gas tank that has a reserve tank in it. This
will require two gas valves unless I can find a valve I like that has
a reserve position. If anyone here is interested I can post updates on
the conversion. Since metalworking will be involved the posts will be
appropriate.
Eric

You probably already know this but... The "reserve tank" on my old
motorcycles was simply a valve with an off and outlet 1 and 2. We'll
call the primary outlet 1 which was simply a tube that stood up higher
in the tank. Outlet 2 drew off the bottom.

My current motorcycle (1986 model) has just on/off. It uses an idiot
light that comes on when there is maybe 1/3 gallon left. You first
notice it when stopping. Goes out again when you get rolling again.

I depend on my trip odometer more than the light. I reset it when I
fill up and start looking for fuel at around 100 miles. Around 130
miles I start to get pretty worried;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b