Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 11:17:13 AM UTC-4, westom wrote:
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 10:31:49 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
I should have written that the surge arrester was sacrificed to protect the equipment since the cell towers received a lot of lightning strikes and transients on the power lines. A lighting strike can blow primary surge arresters right off the wall. The secondary arresters can also burn out at the same time but the equipment will remain undamaged.

Many manufacturer stopped putting MOVs inside electronics where effective protection cannot exist. For example, Apple stopped doing it after the Apple II.

You can't make up your mind. Your mantra in the past was that surge protection
was built into every appliance and it was very effective. You just posted that
again he

"Adjacent protectors are for tiny and completely different transients already made irrelevant by protection inside equipment"

Now when challenged as to how that can work with no earth ground while
an external surge protector can't, you now claim there is no protection.
Interesting. I'm sure we'd all like to see a reference for that claim
about Apple PCs, but I'm betting there is none. Maybe you should show
this pic of an iMac power supply to Apple:

http://www.easytechnology.gr/images/...ac%20china.JPG

Power comes in on the right side. At the edge of the board is a blue
component that looks like a typical MOV. Printed on the board next to
it is "L2 MOV1". Behind it, partially covered is an identical second
one. Very typical, two MOVs. Bingo!

Superior protection is routinely inside all electronics - often using techniques not using protectors. For example, a computer's PSU will convert a surge into clean, stable, low voltage DC to power its semiconductors. Other techniques include filters and galvanic isolation.

Interesting. Now that big, old, mean surge that will destroy a plug-in
surge protector because no protection is possible without an "earth ground",
is magically converted to power by a power supply with no protection at all..
Go figure. Isn't science amazing?

Anything else we can help you out with today?