Posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Telonic 4053 sweep generator

On 20/10/2015 12:52, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Dave Platt wrote:

Just posting a brief note to perhaps save somebody else some research
effort.

This weekend, at the Pacificon hamfest, I acquired a Telonic 4053A RF
sweep generator. It's a nice, compact little box with three bands
(0-450 MHz, 450-900, and 900-1350), sweep widths from 200 kHz to 500
Mhz, slide-switch and vernier attenuators, a bunch of crystal-
controlled frequency markers, and rated output of +7 dBm.

Naturally, I wanted a manual. Initial searches came up empty, with
little information other than that this is a "special model" built to
FAA specifications (and mine has an FAA stamp on the back). A few
postings from years ago suggested that other buyers of these surplus
sweep generators also failed to find manuals.

After digging a bit deeper, I seem to have lucked out. At KO4BB's web
site, I found a couple of Telonic manuals in the "miscellaneous test
equipment" section. One was for the Model 1205 sweep generator, which
appears to be the same device - identical physical appearance, and the
internal layout seems to match mine. The 1205 is described as being
able to take a set of up to 7 marker-generator crystal-oscillator
sub-boards, and I suspect that the "4053" may simply be a 1205 with an
FAA-specified set of marker boards and a front panel silk-screened
accordingly. There may be other differences but, if so, they don't
seem to be profound ones, and the 1205 manual and schematic and
alignment procedures should still prove useful.

My new acquisition seems to work, making the $20 I paid for it a real
bargain.

Archive.org took the remaining manuals when Manualsplus.com stopped
selling obscure manuals. They took about 25,000 manuals that will be
scanned, and put online for free. I haven't seen a timetable, or if
there iss even a completed inventory of what they have, but I would
check their site from time to time to see if they have it.

They have added a lot of old semiconductor data books. If you are going
to download a lot of them, use bit torrent or other software to reduce
the loading on their servers. There is also an area with a lot of old
electronics and computer magazines you can read online, or download.

https://archive.org/details/electronicsmanuals?&sort=-downloads&page=6

Are you aware of a widget/app to cross-compare an index of paper manuals
against the main www resources, to determine what needs scanning in and
uploading somewhere , so I can safely dump the paper-based repeats ?