Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Blake[_2_] Roger Blake[_2_] is offline

Default Check your Windows 10 block settings

On 2015-10-18, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If in your name the deed is recorded. You eliminate many, but not all
traces.

The point isn't going deep underground, if that's what I was after
I would not be here. The point is not forking over information carte
blanche during the course of normal day-to-day life. Of course there
is some paper and/or electronic trail to be found, but it is spotty,
particularly compared to someone who pays for everything via credit or
debit card and goes out and details it all on Facetube or whatever.

Actually for me paying cash and staying out of debt is mostly due to having
been brought up by parents who lived through the Great Depression of
the 1930s. Preserving a modicum of privacy in an increasingly intrusive
environment is a beneficial side effect.

Some banks will not allow you in dressed like that.

Haven't had a problem, but they know me at my bank anyway. (Small community
bank, been a customer there for decades.) It helps being old, of course,
wearing cataract-style sunglasses doesn't raise many eyebrows for people
my age - might not be the case for a 20-something!

Is the plate visible to the eye? I know some states are making thing
like that illegal so the speed cameras can get you. As long as the
police can easily see your plate you may never get caught though.

A proper fresnel lens or louvered covering will look fine straight on
but will obscure the plate from a steep angle. Probably illegal (in
many jurisdictions any plate cover is) but poorly enforced as long as
the plate is properly visible to the cop just behind or ahead of you.

Here's one, there are others, and some homebrew solutions:

http://www.ontrackcorp.com/original-protector.cfm

There would probably also be active solutions possible that would work
in a similar manner to those using infrared LEDs to foil facial recognition
systems.

For myself, I'm in a rural area where plate cameras and scanners are not
much of a concern - yet.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com