Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Why does my car ac system keep blowing up?

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:36:46 -0500, Paul in Houston TX
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
Twice now my 92 Explorer has "blown" the compressor. In both cases
it blew very shortly, within minutes, of starting the truck. It blew
so shortly after starting the truck I have a hard time seeing how the
pressure could be high enough to "blow" but in both cases it popped
the high pressure relief valve and spewed oil and refrigerant out.

Black gunk may be contamination... or due to compressor failure.
Will assume the oil was correct type.
First occasion could be due to not enough cleaning and purging.
2nd and almost 3rd, not likely.
Were the oem hoses changed out for 134a hoses?

I know one of them was as it had a muffler in it when it blew up 4
years ago and I had an AC shop redo the manifold with a new hose to
replace the part with the muffler. It's possible the other hose on
the manifold is an 18 year old one. From what I've read there is not
supposed to be any problem with old hoses that have been well soaked
with oil. But those two short sections are the only hose, the rest is
pipe.