Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Check your Windows 10 block settings

| Well, I'm not concerned beyond what I can reasonably control.
| And most people are aware of these "privacy issues."
| Mayanaya presumes everybody who uses Win10 is a dope.
| Anyway, that's my impression. Could be wrong.

Most people are not aware of these issues. That's the
point. It's none of my business if you don't mind Windows
calling home with your data, but that's not what you said.
You said any such concern was BS. So who's calling who
a dope?

Another aspect, for me, is frustration with where things
are going. Not because I hate MS but because I love
Windows. I got into computers late - 1998. To me it seemed
that Windows was like a fun car. Macs were an overpriced
car with the hood welded shut and limited tools. And Linux
was like a do-it-yourself car kit. At the time, most of the
software was for Windows. Microsoft encouraged people
to learn Windows and provided tools at all levels. I taught
myself Windows programming, made some money and had
a lot of fun. I've written software for myself, which would
be a much bigger challenge on Apple or Linux. But since
Win2000/ME I've watched as the system gradually gets
locked down and turned into interactive cable TV. In the
car analogy, what's happening is that they're ceasing the
sales of cars and trying to replace existing cars with taxis.
It's approaching a time when the only software that people
will be able to write for Windows will be phone/tablet
style trinket apps. So-called universal (Metro) apps. Not
being able to control one's own data is part of the transition,
just as there's little option to control what Apple collects
on an iPhone because there's no control over the iPhone
OS.

It's not only Microsoft, by any means. Apple, Facebook,
Microsoft, Amazon and Google are all trying to grab the
whole pie. All except Facebook are approaching it with
multiple devices, apps, social connections and shopping.
They're each trying to suck in as many customers as
possible to a new version of the AOL walled garden. The
special tragedy with Windows is that it has been, and
can be, so much more. Google is thoroughly corrupt.
Apple has always controlled their devotees. Amazon is
trying for a total retail monopoly, accessed in large part
through Kindles and phones, and will undoubtedly
jack up their prices if they ever achieve it. Only Microsoft,
until relatively recently, wasn't trying to own their customers.
They were simply selling good tools. Most of their customers
have been business and those customers demanded computers
as functional tools for which they can write custom,
inhouse software.

All I want is a decent computer that I control myself.
I'd be less bothered by people who choose shopping TV,
frankly, if a straight computer was also still an easy option.
But that's becoming an increasingly complex challenge.
The AOL walled garden is not an offering. It's a sneaky
strategy. The complexity of settings and actions required
just to prevent Win7 being overwritten by Win10 is a good
example.
Even Ubuntu Linux has stooped to ads and spywa

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Remember when AOL was the thing? I was using a
friend's Mac at the time. New to computers, I'd heard
about the famous Internet but couldn't seem to find it.
I just kept going in circles between AOL chat groups,
credit card offers, games, shopping.... I asked a friend
in tech support: Where is this famous Internet? He
had to guide me through the steps to sneak out the
back door of AOLs obnoxious arcade and onto the
open Web, where I was actually free to visit any
website.