Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Check your Windows 10 block settings

On 10/17/2015 11:43 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 10/17/2015 9:09 AM, Muggles wrote:

In virtually all of these cases, you have an option to NOT be tracked;
by simply not participating in the activity that is being tracked!
E.g., don't send USPS mail, don't shop in department stores, don't
do web searches, etc.

The same applies to MS/W10 -- don't *use* it! :

Some people call that marketing strategies! I never agreed with that
conclusions, either.

We (SWMBO & myself) are "terrible" consumers. We are exposed to very
little advertising (minimal "mass media" exposure, etc.). And, are
the types that do our own research before making purchases -- instead
of letting someone else *suggest* a purchase.

We also tend to be "need driven" and not distracted by "wants". So,
impulse purchases are just not in the cards for us. E.g., our shopping
day sees us leaving the house with a carefully prepared list of
items -- and returning home *with* those items, not some random
assortment of other things that "caught our eye".

Finally, we consciously make our own decisions as to the "value" of
items and don't rely on someone else's "price point" to set our
expectations as to what we should expect to pay, etc. ("Who
the hell would pay $X for *that*??")

OTOH, I've watched my sister shop. Totally oblivious as to what
she's putting in her cart, no planning, etc. "I want this; I
want that; oh, gee... isn't *this* nice!! Gotta have TWO of those!"

frown

I don't buy much of anything unless it's on my list, but sometimes I'll
go shopping with a general goal to find *something* that I can use to
make project X with at home. I'll look for items that I can re-purpose
and use in a totally different way than what it was made to be used for
IF I can't find what I'd really like to use to make what I need. I
design what I need if I can't find something in the store that'll work,
and then I'll build it out of odd parts.

We have all of these but up pieces of 3/4" grey pvc, and I wanted to use
it to build a contraption that'll hold up/open garden waste bags. Those
bags are really tall and the store options for things like that are a
joke that wouldn't hold up a heavy duty bag like that, so I bought some
flexible tubing at the hardware store and made a hoop out of it. I used
zip ties to create crossed legs, and I zip tied the hoop to the top and
used chain to attach clips to each side so I could make sure a bag
wouldn't slip off the edges of the top of the holder.

It's really lightweight, and I can probably update the thing to be
collapsible by adding bolts to the legs and made the top hoop
detachable, too.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2i8iq0z.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/aajif4.jpg

--