Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:04:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/17/2015 12:59 AM, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
Howdy folks,

I read all the excellent replies (thanks to all). Here's what I am going to
do. I will put on my long linesman rubber gloves, place a thick rubber mat
on the floor in front of the box and use a large insulated screwdriver to
see if the screw (it's slotted, not hex-keyed) will turn and by how much.

TKS

While in the panel, please consider tighten the
other power feed wire. And the neutral. And then
go down the row of breakers, and snug down all
the black wires. I've also had neutrals and grounds
come loose, so perhaps those need snug down also.

Looking forward to a follow up report, please.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Also, what brand is the panel? Check the buss bars for damage where
the breakers connect. If it is an FPE or other cheap-assed panel,
consider replacing it particularly if there is ANY sign of heat or
arcing on the buss.

I just replaced my complete (fused) panel and meter base with a new QO
32 /64 panel with whole house surge protector for $2400 canadian
including taxes and inspection. Could have done it for $400 less using
a homeline or Cuttler Hammer BR panel and no surge protector.

I considered the upgrade to the copper buss QO worth the extra money