Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On 10/17/2015 10:30 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I worked a lot with connectors up to 350 amps and UL approved either
soldering or crimping.

No one at my company had a problem with either method as long as done
properly.

The important thing you did right was to cut back to good copper.

We usually crimped just because it was faster and no flames were needed
to do so.

I don't think most people understand that an arc welder uses low voltage high current and that a short circuit on a large battery bank can vaporize a large gauge wire and create an arc just like an arc welder. In fact I've seen plans for homemade arc welders which use a golf cart or a few automotive batteries as a power source. ^__^

http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfcart--Welder/

[8~{} Uncle Plasma Monster

That burned up socket set I showed a photo of took out a 1000 amp fuse.
I think the battery could easily have supplied ten times that amount.
It was a large rack-mounted stationery battery.