Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac backup generator

On 10/17/2015 8:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:12:39 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/16/2015 7:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
A guy who lives near me had a similar experience. He had a 12KW Generac
nat gas powered, maybe 5 years old. Started up every week for the routine
check run. Very lightly used, power is generally reliable here. During
a hurricane outage, a few hours into running, it died. He wound up buying
a gas generator from one of the out-of-state guys with a rental truck.
I'm sure that wasn't cheap. He had the service guys come out and they
told him it wasn't worth fixing. So, he bought a new one. I got the old
one, which, since it was only a few years old, I figured I could probably
fix and keep. We knew the engine part was good, it started, ran for a
minute, etc. Upon diagnosing, the rotor for sure was shot and possibly
the armature. It would have been several hundred just for a new rotor.
The I happened to look at the reviews on Amazon for Generac standby
generators. They were horrific. All kinds of people in similar or
worse situations, including new ones out of the box that were defective.
A lot of people said they ran fine for the weekly test, then failed
when needed. I came to the conclusion that for the money I'd have to
put into it, versus what I'd wind up with, it wasn't worth it.

I wonder if the weekly test used up all the
hours of run time? Maybe if it were tested
every six months, it would work when needed.

Impossible. They run for about 10 mins once a week.
Insignificant in the expe[Makes sense. Why would

they design in a weekly test, if it killed the genset?]
cted life of a generator.
And even if it did, it would still be the manufacturer's
fault. They spec'd the eqpt and set the default weekly
test cycle.

Thanks for the field report.

-
.