Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 19:30:15 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:21:46 -0500, philo wrote:

I worked on high power circuitry for 38 years and cleaning a bad
connection is not the answer.

Believe me I've tried. Once a connection has been burned and tarnished
no amount of cleaning can ever again provide a satisfactory connection.
All connectors and wires must be replaced...or if the wire/cable is long
enough...cut back to good , fresh copper.

For low power circuitry, cleaning is probably OK though.

I guess 12VDC would qualify as low power, but some still draws a lot of
amps. I've had to clean corroded wires many times on vehicles, and
reconnect them. Just recently, there was a melted plug under my dash,
powering the blower motor (for heater). I removed the plug and found the
wires overheated, so I cut off a half inch on each end. That was all I
could spare. Then I soldered them and taped. That plug is a common
problem on my vehicle, and there have been some fires because of it. The
plug was under rated for the current draw.There was a recall for it, but
that expired years ago. The vehicle is a 1995 model. According to what a
mechanic told me, the recall had them remove the plug and crimp the
wires together. I think soldering is a far better splice than crimp
connectors.

A Ford by chance? My 1995 Mercury Mystique had the same issues