Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Check your Windows 10 block settings

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 8:12:38 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
Don Y writes:

On 10/16/2015 2:59 PM, Microsoft Bob wrote:
Those of you who are using the common methods for blocking Windows 7 and
Windows 8.1's obnoxious Win10 upgrade procedure take note. Apparently an update
released yesterday changed an important registry setting -- DisableOSUpgrade --
that prevented Windows 7 and 8.1 from proceeding with the forced march to
Windows 10.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/299...-in-force.html

Does anyone know if Microsoft will be offering a paid version of Win10 that
doesn't spy on us?
I suspect the medical business will need it to satisfy HIPPA laws.

Doubtful. MS has belatedly learned that the "real money" is NOT in
selling software but, rather, selling *people*! Always last to the
dinner table, count on them to now excploit the hell out of this
"sudden realization" -- as if their business depended on it!

Relying on ANYTHING inside your PC to block MS is pure folly.
"Hello Mr Fox. Please keep a watchful eye on this HEN HOUSE..."

Sorry, can't resist.

No ads here and none in sight.
Fedora Linux.

I hear OSX is drawing more converts.
AAPL doesn't need to sell software.

Microsoft knew all along they couldn't stay the same size
selling the same old OS for new machines only.
People don't upgrade because the OS is good enough.
MSFT is going to try to create an on-going revenue stream,
but I think they'll fail.
Ultimately, they'll be a smaller company.

--
Dan Espen

I've been using the Chrome OS and a Chromebook. It updates automatically and I've never worried about a virus. I'm sure that if there is a malware program written for Chrome OS it gets quashed quickly and all Chrome devices are automatically updated with the fix. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chrome Monster