Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why would ONE carbon brush burn on an DC motor

I agree on the hacksaw blade.

And if you have a metal bandsaw - get fluid on it to clean the chips.
Cool the tips and it keeps on cutting. I use a Hydrolic oil container
and put it on a sump with fluid.

Martin

On 10/16/2015 8:32 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 06:17:18 -0500, Ignoramus15926

On 2015-10-16, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 20:53:37 -0500, Ignoramus15926
wrote:

I got a nice Matrix T3X treadmill at a company cleanout.

Seems to be USA made, heavy, for up to 400 lb max runner weight,
with a US made Johnson 3HP motor etc.

That's something you'll never see come out of China. (Well, 400 pound
people OR heavy duty treadmills.

Except that it sode not work and gives "Error 1". Some googling
revealed possible reason as "burnt brushes", so I took the brushes.

One of them was indeed burnt, as follows: evidence of heat damage, the
helical spring was no longer pushing it apart, and two out of three
strands of copper wire were burned.

The other brush was in a fine condition.

What I do not understand is how could only one brush burn out?

Any idea?

A loose connection on the back end can cause that. It usually burns
up the wire's insulation. I had a brand new chop saw come to me with a
loose brush. Ever since then, I've checked the brushes on all my new
and used tools, just in case. (Cheap Chiwanese brand, money refunded
because it ate the commutator.)

OK, thanks., great to know

As a followup, I researched chop saws more after that and decided that
an investment of $10 in a trio of Starrett hacksaw blades was a better
idea. I go through about one a decade. Until then, I had no idea how
much better a hacksaw could cut, or how long a good blade could last.
I consider that a triple win for myself, all because of a cheap tool.
So, even when unusable, cheap Chiwanese tools proved themselves quite
worthy.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate. -- Chuang-tzu