Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:46:15 -0400, wrote:

Mine hasn't failed for AC. I think it is inside the disconnect box (I
can check). Not much rain in the desert -- 4" per year.

I do plan to use a Square whole house SPD in the breaker panel
(round-to-it).

Installed one in my brand new panel last week.

Not an expert, but I guess lightning killed an electronic board for
my washer or it was a surge spike? TV was protected during the same
storm, no problem.

Don't know. In my case of original supressor exploding, it could have been
my house that induced the surge. Storm day, lights were dimming and cutting
on and off. Air conditioner might have been running. Supressor attached to
air conditioner breaker. Breaker shut off during supressor explosion. No
other outlet oppressors affected, and I had at least 4 attached around the
house.

I.would like o have another 'whole house' supressor installed, and it sure
better be metal encased.

The supo type I've seened used in main breaker box on show Holmes on Homes.
I do not like the fact it uses stranded wire for breaker use.

Greg