Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

"philo" wrote in message
For those who may have missed my posts over the past year or so, my

background is industrial batteries and I have repaired literally thousands
of chargers whose output is anywhere from 80 to 350 amps.

When I was still new on the job , if there was a burned or tarnished
connection, I'd typically wire brush it down then sand it until everything
was smooth and shiny.

It did not take me more than a year to realize that was only a temporary
fix as the connection would always go bad again.

Once copper is heated it actually goes through a chemical change and
becomes copper oxide. If the burned portion is cleaned, the copper still
has a tarnished look to it.

If you cut a new copper wire and compare it to a cut, tarnished wire you
will see the difference.

That's why I said all must be replaced.

I agree. I worked with lots of industrial electrical equipment, lots of 480
volt 3 phase from a few amps to around 500 amps.

There were hundreds if not thousands of breakers and switch gear that was
inspected with an IR camera every year or two. If a connection shows
evidence of overheating, sometimes cleaning and tightning would solve the
problem, but often it would show back up on the next scan , usually about a
year later.

Cutting back and changing seemed to be the long term solution.