Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On 10/16/2015 05:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 6:18:43 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:
On 10/16/2015 05:12 PM, trader_4 wrote:
Onrcuit panel. Very strange.

TKS

Not unusual for a loose connection to behave differently after you
push it or fiddle with it. It may just be temporarily making better
contact now. You can tighten it live, as long as you're 100% sure
you know what you're doing.

If he was 100% sure of what he was doing he would not tighten it live.

also see my other replies

Yeah, I agree with those of you that pointed out that if it's been arcing,
then it should be checked to see if it's damaged. I wasn't thinking
about what arcing that's been going on could have done.

For those who may have missed my posts over the past year or so, my
background is industrial batteries and I have repaired literally
thousands of chargers whose output is anywhere from 80 to 350 amps.

When I was still new on the job , if there was a burned or tarnished
connection, I'd typically wire brush it down then sand it until
everything was smooth and shiny.

It did not take me more than a year to realize that was only a temporary
fix as the connection would always go bad again.

Once copper is heated it actually goes through a chemical change and
becomes copper oxide. If the burned portion is cleaned, the copper still
has a tarnished look to it.

If you cut a new copper wire and compare it to a cut, tarnished wire you
will see the difference.

That's why I said all must be replaced.

If some hardware was replaced that ended up actually being OK, no harm done.

I think all see the corollary.