Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sewage Backing Up Into Shower, But Basement Drains Are Clear

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, SoloMan wrote:
replying to gfretwell , SoloMan wrote:
gfretwell wrote:

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 02:44:01 +0000, SoloMan
Pull the toilet that is bad and snake from there.

I have called a plumber. All toilets, showers, and bathroom sinks all
back up in the downstairs shower. The only drains that do not back up are
the basement washtubs and the kitchen sink, which are located on the
opposite side of the house.

I went to Walmart last night and purchased one of those 25' snakes with
the hand crank. I couldn't get it to go into the shower drain more than
approximately 12" no matter what I did. I also used my 12 gallon Shop Vac
to suck the sewer line. I'm not sure how many times I carried that sucker
into the basement to dump into the wash tubs, but I probably pulled out
100 gallons of water from the sewage system.

I don't think that the clog is anywhere near the downstairs shower or
toilet, based on how much water it actually takes to fill up the sewage
line to the point where it backs up in the shower. It takes awhile.
Downstairs toilet is still clogged, but upstairs toilet dumps right into
the downstairs shower regardless.

Out of options and I had to catch a plumber soon before the weekend prices
began.

--

Make sure he knows where, when and how much Drano you used.