Posted to alt.home.repair
Cal Dershowitz Cal Dershowitz is offline

Default removing tile adhesives

On 10/15/2015 12:12 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:12:33 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 05:38:27 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

Cal Dershowitz wrote:
Hi NG,

This page shows a couple areas of tile adhesive I'm removing:

This area had normal ceramic tile on it, so this might be thinset.
Here, I might think of water, water with a base, water with acid,
maybe mineral spirits. Your thoughts? TIA

Thinset is cementatious. Acid will eat it. It will also eat whatever the
thinset was applied to. The other liquids you mentioned will do nothing.

Your best option is a chisel and hammer.

If they used underlayment, it may be easier to remove and replace the
underlayment.

If you remotely paid attention to the photo, Home Gay, it looks like
this tile is on a concrete foundation. Maybe you can remove and
replace it in Canada?

Alright, thx, I'll get after the thinset physically, but no ideas with
the black tarry stuff under the first set of tiles?

--
Cal