Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with simple bridge

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:41:37 -0500, dpb wrote:

I did a quick beam deflection calculation for SYP 4x6 on 16-ft spacing
with a dead center load of 150 lb plus distributed 3.5 lb/ft. Since
that's one beam, the actual load for two would be 300 lb which ought to
cover the kind of traffic I'd think this would bear given what it looks
like would be from the picture...

Anyway, center max deflection for that loading is roughly 0.5" which
indicates it would be more than adequate for the purpose.

As for using something other than 20-footers which undoubtedly will be
pricey, a couple 10's with a (say) 3/8" flat plate of 3-ft length bolted
thru with 1/2" bolts would work and be reasonably easy to do with only a
couple of folks and a temporary bracing to hold the ends up while making
the connections. Pre-drill the plates and then bore the holes in the
beams in place. Could get a little fancy and have somebody fabricate
them with a little arch in 'em and have some rise to the center for some
aesthetics, too...

Gets as involved from there as may care to be including adding a center
riser with a tension rod/cable from each end to stiffen 'er up, etc.,
etc., etc., ...

Would some sort of pre made floor truss be at all practical?