Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Electric furnace?

On 2015-10-15, wrote:

I never leave on my newer computer in hot weather, but I dont worry much
about using my old early 2000's single core machine with XP.

I need to move up to a new computer, but was not aware of the heat
probs you mention. My ancient P4 box doesn't even leave the PS fan
running during use, only during boot up. I thought the newer CPUs
were similar, but you say multi cores need mucho cooking. Zat include
i5's and i7's?

AFAIK, newer computers use less power than old ones. I5's and I7's
run pretty cool. 84-90 watts. And LED's use less power than CRT's.
SSD's use less power than spinners.
High end graphics cards can get hot, but you might not need one.