Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] RealPerson@none.com is offline

Default Electric furnace?

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 17:33:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 7:15:16 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 10:26:35 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It is always good to have a back up when the power goes out , especially
if
in an area of the country that drops below 60 deg F. or so.

60 F? Good grief! It was 60 F and windy yesterday, yet my house
was 73 F due to the waste heat from the fridge and television.
I had to open the windows to cool the house down.

I just picked a temperature that suited me. With no electricity , there
will be no TV and fridge to make heat. Not sure how long it would take to
get a house from 70 or so down to 60 with out anthing to make heat.

Like someone else pointed out, it's actually the sun that's warming
the house, not the TV and fridge. Fridge today is under 100W, TV, IDK,
maybe 150W for a big one? Really insignificant heat for a home.

Look at all the heat coming out of a modern computer. Some of these new
multicore computers have 4 or 5 fans in them because of the excessive
heat they produce. The older computers from the early 2000's and prior
were low powered, but not anymore. If you can live with an older
computer, running Windows XP or an earlier operating system, you can
save a lot of power. But these newer operating systems cant run on that
older hardware.

I had a friend call me because her computer would turn itself off after
10 minutes or less. It was a multicore Dell machine. The CPU fan and
Power supply fan both worked, but the larger fan on the back of the case
had died. It was darn near hot enough at that CPU heatsink to fry an
egg. Because a replacement fan had to be ordered, I rigged up a window
fan and some cardboard to divert the air thru the computer, and told her
to make sure that fan is running if she needed to use the computer, and
to turn off the computer as soon as she is finished. It worked fine
until the replacement fan arrived in the mail a week later.

I never leave on my newer computer in hot weather, but I dont worry much
about using my old early 2000's single core machine with XP.