Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric furnace?

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:04:18 -0500, Muggles wrote:

On 10/15/2015 10:52 AM, Shade Tree Guy wrote:
On Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 8:30:51 AM UTC-7, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Here, long (more than a couple of hours) outages seem to happen every 8
years. However, only 1 of the last 3 have been in the winter.

As I said in another post, I was glad to have the gas logs (gas water
heater too).

Mark Lloyd

Last two outages (rare around here)
The Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989, several hours but I had a small plug-in-the-car TV set to watch the local news.
A year or two ago, a car took out a telephone pole.
Got the gas powered generator started when the electricity came back on

We've had several episodes of the power going out for days at a time
here. One ice storm nearly closed down the entire city. Most power
lines are above ground here, so trees dropped a lot of ice laden
branches and lots of people were without power. Ours was out for 10
days, but others were 2 weeks or more.

We have a couple of generators and enough extension chords to get about
90% powered up. By the time the power came back on we were so used to
using the generators it was almost a bit of culture shock to not have to
use them again.

We had a friend who was out at the end of a dead end street after
Charley and they lived on a generator for months. They say the problem
was "feeding the monster".
Sometimes fuel is hard to come by and even then you are hauling a lot
of it.