Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Cheap sailboats..now is the time to buy one...

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 2:24:21 PM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 09:50:25 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 7:08:01 AM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:
As some know..I post a lot of sailboats for Free to $1000 on the Yahoo
group called FreeSailboats.
We generally find these on Craigslist using a Craigslist search
engine..but we also find em on Ebay. Typically September -late
November are the best times to find them really really cheap.

The search engine for Ebay is

"http://www.ebay.com/sch/Boats-/26429/i.html?_fls=1&_ipg=25&_os=UP|S|PL|D&_pos=93268&_st pos=93268&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSRCHX%3ASRCH&_nkw=s ailboat&LH_LocatedIn=1&_sop=2"

just cut and paste that into ebay and if you find something close to
you..tell us what you bought. At present..there are some incredible
boats availble. Some need some work to get em back into good
shape..some are ready to go right now.

Gunner

Does anyone sell wheel conversion kits fr California sail boats?

Steering wheel or tire wheel?

There are a good number of new and used steering wheels conversions
available. Boat salvagers is the best place to find one. I see them
on Ebay and on Craigslist occasionally. Some good versions like
Edson, others..shrug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewmar-Cobra...bb76ad&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jefa-Steerin...-/252122421715

What is the boat in question? Remember..the cockpit is often times
pretty small..so having something standing proud you have to stand
behind to steer..with that boom swinging overhead is an issue on
anything smaller than 30 or so feet.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinesto...=84_91_255_256
http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinesto...=84_91_255_257

Not to mention if you have space under the cockpit to install the
steering gear.
I would STRONGLy suggest looking for a used one from a salvaged
boat..they are a couple hundred versus a couple grand...plus the work
involved in converting tiller steering to pedestal steering. It can
be..can be..simple or an utter bitch.

Or were you talking about tire wheel conversions..?

Gunner

Gunner

I was thinking wheels for the new dry lakes, former reservoirs.