Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Chair Rails

On 10/14/2015 8:39 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Meanie writes:

I installed chair rails for my sister in her new rental home. All went
well except two minor issues. In one room, with my Zircon I520 deep
scan stud sensor, I cannot locate a stud to fasten a section of the
rail and thus, there's a slight gap. On the other wall in another
room, I'm dumbfounded at what's behind the wall. First, I'm uncertain
if I found the stud since the sensor was a bit fuzzy. Second, when I
shoot a nail in that area where I think it's a stud (BTW, I'm using 2"
brad nails), the nail is curving backwards and exiting the front of
the rail and not even penetrating the wall. The ends of the rail are
near a window, door and/or room opening. Therefore, there should
obviously be a stud, but the end of this same rail also curved back at
me on one end but stuck at the window end.

Without shooting nails in the entire rail trying to find a stud and
creating holes to fill, I'm uncertain of how I should attempt to
fasten these small sections and only two options come to mind. One,
try using a finish nail for the curving nail issue and create bigger
holes to fill, though still uncertain of stud location or two, use
adhesive.

What say the experts?

The nail that won't go in may be hitting a metal plate there to
protect some wiring.

Ahhh, enlightenment. Now that I recall, the sensor was displaying the AC
symbol which I assumed it was the wire from the outlet just below. I
tried sensing the stud near that outlet and that's where the nail
curved. I didn't realize they put plates to protect it. Obviously, a
good idea.

Thanks

---