Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi LED lamps

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 06:36:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I now have to report that one of the lamps has failed entirely.

So
that's just 16 months of life, maybe 2 hours a day = 1000 hours.

My second one managed more than that, lets say 18 months at 6
hours/day, 3000+ hours, nothing like the 25,000 headline figure

on the
packaging.

Just hacksawed open one of the failed ones here. Electronics of
driver board look OK. I did notice that one of the SMD LED chips was
not attached at one end, during further hacking it and two others
fell off. These chips appear to be mounted on a 2 mm thick bit of ali
that is bonded to a similar thickness collar of ali to act as a
heatsink. Other LED chips are not square to their pads and the solder
looks grey and mottled so it looks like they might have got a "bit
hot" or the orginal flow soldering wasn't up to spec. I'll try
soldering the chips back on and powering it back up at some point,
however there is a land under the chip that I won't be able to get
at. The hot air paint striper gun would blow all the chips off when
it melted the solder...

This bulb would have been in use 24/7 in and enclosed (but 60W
incandescant rated) fitting. The LED board has what looks like a part
number and the numbers "2012-11-1". Unfortunately I don't know when
this bulb entered service.

--
Cheers
Dave.