Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_8_] Carl Ijames[_8_] is offline

Default Bending help please

wrote in message ...

Anybody here have press brake experience? I was to start with 3x3x.375
6061-T6 aluminum Tee extrusion, 4 inches long, and bend up the top of
the Tee on each side 30 degrees. So the part will then have a Y shape.
Can 6061-T6 be bent that much without cracking? And how much tonnage
should the press be to do this work?
Thanks,
Eric

For flat sheet the minimum inside bend radius for 6061 is roughly equal to
the thickness for a 90 deg bend, without annealing, but for .375" thick
material I'd probably try to keep the inside radius at 0.5" or more, just
for safety. Nothing worse than bending a radius that you knew was too
tight, seeing some small surface cracking, telling yourself "it'll be fine,
I can barely see that", and then coming back the next day and seeing the
cracks go half way through :-). It also matters whether you are going with
the grain or perpendicular to it; with the grain is better. You will be
going with the grain and only going 30 deg so you might be able to get a bit
tighter than 0.375" inside radius. I assume you will make a die with a deep
slot to accommodate the bottom leg, and come down from the top on center
with the punch to basically make both bends at once, just like it was a
single bend in flat stock? I did a quick google search for bend force
calculators, and http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/v-bending-force was
about the first hit and says you will need 6-12 tons to make the bend.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames