Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Ginders

On 10/10/2015 2:51 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
woodchucker wrote in news:bMidnf7rpIvKv4TLnZ2dnUU7-f-
:

I bought a Rikon grinder last year at Woodcraft. I think $89.

Well the stones suck. Way out of round, wobble.
The center is not standard 1" ,it's only 7/8 and filled with something
rather than using spacers. Using the T bar diamond has not properly
dressed them.

I picked up a diamond point from Enco.
This too did not work, until I made a holder, which limits the travel.
Now, this thing is smooth and true. While it still wobbles, and will
cause me to buy new stones soon, I can say that the stones are cutting
nicely. I might go to the CBN wheels once course and one fine. Since
those really run true.

For some reason, call it a guess or intuition, I think you should check
the shafts to make sure they run true.

Puckdropper

The shafts are perfect. I have a 1/10,000 indicator. and they are true.
Otherwise the grinder would have been returned.

They sent me one new wheel last year, but that was crap too. So it's a
low end POC.

The grinder is nothing special. The rests are useless as they attach to
light gauge steel. I have my own rests and might be getting the
Oneways for my gouges. Or making a better set.

--
Jeff