Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default On/Off Switch: Why Six Pins?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 16:15:23 -0400,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Jeff Liebermann:
The "on" contact traces are already jumpered on the PCB. Look at your
photo.

That would be the two middle contacts, right?

The two middle ones are connected and the two to the right are
connected, afaict. So both poles of the switch turn on simultaneously,
or very very very nearly so.

What problem is the switch causing? Are you not sure it's on when
it's supposed to be on? Remove the power and measure the voltage
between the middle two contacts and the right ones.

It should be zero. If it's zero, you can then measure the resistance
between them, the middle two contacts and the right ones. It should
be about zero when the switch is closed and very high when the switch is
open. If it's not, post back. I don't know enough about
circuitry to insist that all my expected conditions be true. For
example, iirc some switches have a capacitor across them, to reduce
sparking I think. If the capacitor were to short, the resistance even
when open would be low.

From the first post:
Before I unsolder this thing and just jump the two rightmost pins - and

Even if in another situation you needed to jump the two pins, I'd see no
need to unsolder the switch. Well, unless you were afraid the presence
of the switch woudl mislead someone, or you needed to take it, and not
just its dimensions, with you to buy a new one.

maybe mess something up.... can anybody comment on the possible roles of
the other pins ?