Posted to alt.home.repair,truck.chevy,alt.trucks.chevy

Default OT wire sealing tape for vehicle (followup)

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:20:29 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/9/2015 10:53 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What's a good way to seal this, to keep water
out? Duck tape? Scotch 33 electrical?

Saturday. Went under van. I was tracing out a
blue wire, Spirit said to look at the tan one.
The tan wire had broken next to a crimp butt
connector. I cut that out, and used a wire
nut to put the wire back together. Try the
key, van starts up nicely.

Several layers of Scotch 33 electric tape go
over that. And some tie wraps.

Thanks to all who suggested sealing tape for
the wiring harness.

Wire nuts and common insulated crimp connectors are not good ways to
patch wiring harnesses. A good solidly twisted inline connection
(kinda like the old "western union" splice, soldered and sealed with
a 2 inch sleave of heat shrink (possibly also sealed with dialectric
grease) makes a connection that won't corrode and will withstand the
moisture that is always a problem under the floormats of ald vehicles.

You want a good "gas-tite" connection.
-
.
Christopher A. Young