Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default TV turns itself off & on ..

Bearing in mind what Mark said, it might be better to use a multiplexer
than a splitter. Despite the fancy 4-syllable name, they're very cheap
too. As well as the antenna amp, of course.

Continued below.

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:50:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 12:05:03 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Even without that, I find it hard to believe the puny signal that comes
out of a cable box will radiate even to next door from an antenna. Do
you remember the Subject of that thread?

The FCC says otherwise:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage

This is a general warning and says NOTHING about antennas as a source of
leakage, and thus it says nothing about using an antenna amp to block
the cable signal from going up to the antenna.

"Cable signal leaks occur when the RF signals transmitted within a cable system are not properly contained within the cable plant. Cable signal leaks can be caused by loose connectors, damaged plant and cracked or unterminated cables."

Yeah, that was there, for sure. By golly, I remember reading it! I
even remember quoting it!!!

And I cited the FCC based on your recommendation to just use a splitter
to combine the antenna and cable:

"maybe you can just connect both the cable and the antenna with a $2-5 splitter (a joiner connected backwards) and I think their signals are on separate frequencies that won't interfere with each other. "

After listing loose connectors, cracked, un-terminated cables, you think
the FCC has to specifically say "don't connect an antenna to the cable"?

Absolutely. That's an entirely different beast from loose or cracked,
which are physical defects. Unteminated is a third kind of beast.

Just how stupid are you?

Smarter than you, it seems.

I didn't comment on your suggestion to use an antenna amplifier for isolation.
I didn't see the need to, because as I pointed out, you're solving a problem
that doesn't exist.

Baloney. Then why did you comment on the rest of it?

Why did you write "The FCC says otherwise:
https://www.fcc.gov/guides/cable-signal-leakage" If the antenna amp is
moot now, what the FCC is just as moot.

The poster doesn't have a problem. He reported that he
no longer even has cable, he's switched to DirectTV.

By golly, he did.

As I asked before, in that prior thread, did anyone think to suggest an
antenna amp? Did you?

As I recall, yes it was discussed at length. But then we also had
someone that had an actual problem then too.

Do you remember what the problem was?

The only examples the FCC url gives are here "Cable signal leaks can be
caused by loose connectors, damaged plant and cracked or unterminated
cables." Backfeeding into antennas doesn't even make the list.

Well, obviously you are that stupid.

You're not only stupid, you love to bicker. What a combination.

Cable companies and the FCC don't like that.
IDK what exactly an antenna has to do with his issues anyway.

Read his post again. "Bad thing about it will not give all the channels,
just the standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going
away on cable."

He also said:

"When cable announced that extra box would be
needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then
charge for them, I switched to Direct TV. "

I saw that. I don't think that was any reason not to reply as I did,
and I don't think you or most people here would have let that stop you
from replying either.

You didn't see me replying though, did you?

You had nothing worth saying. You still don't.

I didn't see anyone else
replying to solve his non-existent problem either.

So he doesn't have cable anymore and presumably he doesn't have a problem
to solve.

Like the OP in a thread is the only one posters write for.
Like this OP can't have a problem with Direct and want to go back.
Like this OP can't have family who might still be in the same situation
he was in.

My gosh, you love to bicker.

And you're still the village idiot. Maybe you could learn to trim posts?

Do you pay by the byte?